So, you’ve been following your meal plan and getting your workouts in consistently for a few weeks now but you’re struggling to see progress in your fitness journey. Yes, consistency is key and every person will see progress at different rates, but have you ever taken into account the amount of sleep (or lack thereof) you may be getting per night?
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 35% of people are sleep deprived. They recommend between 7- 9 hours of sleep per night.
I know for me personally, I struggle to get the recommended amount of sleep per night especially in the summer! Many of you can probably relate! Sleep is one of the most important factors when it comes to building muscle. You may think you are building muscle during your workout but you’re actually breaking down muscle fibers. REST is when your muscle fibers repair and grow stronger!!
Lack of sleep and rest can really affect your fitness journey. A few important factors poor sleep can cause are:
- Increased appetite- it triggers your hunger hormones
- Daytime fatigue
- Less motivation
Here are a few tips for a better nights sleep:
- Be consistent with the time you are going to bed and waking up. Your body will adapt to having a routine!
- Limit blue light use close to bedtime. Ex: phone, computer, TV
- Keep caffeine consumption to the morning hours.
- Limit long naps during the day.
- Relax and clear your mind before bed. Ex: read a book, take a hot bath
- Get your BURN on regularly!
This week, I encourage you to try and get the recommended hours of sleep!
Good Luck and Happy Sleeping!