Spruce Up Your Spring Salad
By Josephine Atluri
Spring is a wonderful time to kickoff the start of fresh eating. I always love going to the farmers market or grocery store and seeing the seasonal produce making their way into the displays. Don't know what to do with some of the spring produce or maybe you need a fresh new idea? Try out this super green salad that has textures from creamy to crunchy and flavors from delicate to robust.
- one bunch pea tendrils, washed
- one bunch asparagus, trimmed, and chopped into manageable pieces
- half a bag of frozen peas defrosted
- one avocado, cut into chunks
- one package or bunch of mint, washed and chopped
- one bunch of parsley, washed and picked leaves off the stem
- one bunch of dill, washed and chopped
- 2 lemons squeezed
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- optional: grilled or baked protein of your choice to top the salad such as a chicken breast or a white fish like trout
1. Steam the asparagus in the microwave by placing on a plate and securely wrapping plastic wrap over the plate. Microwave for 2 minutes and then let it sit covered until ready to use.
2. Warm the peas in the microwave for a couple minutes to thaw.
3. Loosely chop the pea tendrils so they are in manageable pieces.
4. Toss the pea tendrils, asparagus, peas, avocado, mint, parsley, and dill together in a big bowl.
5. In a side bowl, make the simple vinaigrette by whisking together the olive oil and lemon juice together and adding salt and pepper to taste.
6. When you are ready, toss the salad with the vinaigrette and top off with your choice of grilled or baked protein! Enjoy the tastes of spring!